Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Listening

Though I walk to and from campus every day, today while strolling along I didn't plug in my ear buds and decided to listen to any and everything I could on the way to campus. At first I really didn't notice any particular sounds. I started to panic and think that the one thing I set out to listen to would be a complete failure. Nevertheless, as I continued listening I was amazed at how many sound really just get filtered out. In fact its truly interesting the things you notice when you take the time to listen. The first sound I noticed was the crunch of snow beneath my feet. I hadn't noticed it earlier because of its continuous and rhythmic nature. Immediately following this discovery I heard a car pass by. The sound of the air passing by created a swooshing sound. Turning onto a busier street more vehicles became noticeable. The heavy sound of a diesel engine brought a school bus shuffling by. I heard someone scrapping snow and ice off their car, and I though they were probably getting ready for work. The school was in sight and I could now hear the sound of the Rec Centers ventilation system blowing in the distance. Someone was parking their car and the soft rumble of their car died, they got out and their door made a slamming sound as they closed it. Their keys jingled as they stuffed it into a purse or bag, and just about that time I reach campus.

No comments: