Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I would really like to comment on fabio's thought that the things that are truly important to us we dont use reason. It is especially interesting because in almost all of my other classes reason over passion is stressed so much. Everything we read, Machiavelli, Locke, Hobbes, Lincoln, Aristotle, the Founders, anything, reason is stressed as the most important thing. Then when you actually think as an individual as to what is truly important to you, chances are you did not reason to that conclusion. My favorite example of this is love. Love of God, love of brothers, and love of one's significant other are all things that make no sense. Love is the most illogical and bizarre thing I can think of. What would possess someone to be willing to place someone else's preservation above their own? Love does, but why do we love, why do we allow ourselves to fall into such a trap? Love is certainly passion over reason, and the things we love are the things that are most important to us, so do we really reason, or do we just think or feel as though we reason?

1 comment:

chris said...

This reminds me of a conversation...all I have to say is long live reason!